- Our Members
- Compact Service Corps
- Member Campus Resources
- Events Calendar
You are here
As consultant to organizations, groups and communities, Janis Nowlan provides services with a focus on participative strategic planning, managing uncertainty and change, creating productive environments, redesigning organizational structures and work processes, and increasing adaptability and accountability. Her work is about stewardship, shared responsibility, and the creation of community. Janis has implemented change interventions and led organization effectiveness activities at all levels and with multiple functions and has worked with management to redefine leadership roles.
With knowledge and understanding of diverse professions, Janis brings more than twenty-five years of experience affecting organizational and community outcomes.
In addition to her experience as an external consultant, she has held progressively responsible positions in diverse business and organization settings. From 2001-2012, she served as a senior staff member at the College of Architecture and Planning, University of Colorado Denver. Among many other responsibilities as Assistant Dean of Organization Effectiveness and Outreach, she was heavily involved in various aspects of civic engagement and service learning:
- She assumed management oversight for the AmeriCorps Program, providing needed support for the college AmeriCorps Coordinator and increasing faculty and student involvement.
- Janis developed, recommended and implemented organizational structures to better support civic engagement and service learning.
- Janis was instrumental in developing guidelines for what constitutes service learning. She worked alongside the Coordinator to educate faculty on how they might transform their design and planning studio projects into civic engagement experiences. She partnered with faculty to identify and inventory civic engagement and service learning projects and activities.
- For over two years, Assistant Dean Nowlan served as acting Director of the Colorado Center for Community Development.
Additional Background: Janis is a graduate of the University of Denver, degree emphasis in human communication, with advanced training in organization effectiveness, human resource management and adult education. She has continually increased her knowledge and skills through coursework, such as the Advanced Program in Human Resource Management offered by UCLA's Graduate School and workshops/classes offered at New Mexico State University and the University of California, Santa Cruz and Davis. She has held membership in the Organization Development Network, the STS Roundtable and the Association for Quality and Participation; she has been certified as a consulting practitioner by Associated Consultants International.
She designed and facilitated work sessions at Dar Al-Hekma College in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, to establish a new Bachelors of Architecture program. As a member of an organization development team, Janis delivered conference segments in St. Petersburg, Russia, and has presented at various professional and industry conferences. Janis authored A Process Framework Relating to Changes in Rural Healthcare Delivery, published by The Colorado Trust. She is the illustrator for Flawless Consulting by Peter Block.
Nowlan Resources' mode of operation is to partner with clients to enhance internal capacity and capability and to enhance outreach efforts. Contact Janis if you are interested in exploring educational sessions, workshops and training; process design and facilitation; and consulting services in a variety of areas.
- Create an environment of service learning and civic engagement.
- Develop productive staff-faculty-student relationships in support of civic engagement and service learning.
- Develop a plan for civic engagement and service learning through participative strategic planning.
- Create partnerships and collaboration.